In the UK, miscarriage is defined as the loss of a pregnancy before 24 weeks and sadly, it can affect one in four people who are pregnant. Here we’ll discuss some of the ways you may be able to access support when going through this difficult time.

If you think you’re having a miscarriage 

If you’re having symptoms of a miscarriage, you should speak with your usual GP as soon as possible. Depending on your symptoms, you might be referred to a hospital for tests and an ultrasound to determine if you’re having a miscarriage. A doctor or nurse will discuss what your next steps may be once you have the results of your tests.  

Medical support after a miscarriage  

We don’t always know the causes of miscarriage, and tests to determine a cause are not routinely offered. In the UK, doctors won’t typically investigate miscarriage until you’ve had three or more. This is because it’s very unlikely they will find a treatable cause and because most people go on to have a healthy pregnancy after having a miscarriage. However, we understand that this doesn’t make the experience any less upsetting or confusing. 

Where to find support after a miscarriage 

Every pregnancy loss is different, and there’s no right or wrong way to feel about it. If you’re struggling with your feelings, you may need some support. There are several ways to access support, including:

  • A hospital counselling service
  • Tommy’s – a charity that researches miscarriage and has a lot of helpful resources
  • Miscarriage Association – which has online support groups and a telephone helpline
  • A BICA (British Infertility Counselling Association) counsellor who specialises in fertility support