Best and worst things for future fertility
19 Apr 2023
If this one keeps you up at night too, we get it.
You don’t need us to tell you there’s no equation for your future fertility. That said, there are choices you can make now that might pay off later down the line.
Find out what in this fourth and final part of our fertility awareness series.
Best Things (As a Rule)
- Try to eat a balanced diet
- Exercise regularly
- Try to maintain a healthy weight
- Get tested for STIs
- Visit your GP to discuss: any medication you’re taking, medical conditions that could impact your fertility and family history that could be relevant.
- Consider taking a multivitamin (make sure it contains folic acid and vitamin D)
- Check you’ve had your rubella vaccine
- Check you’re up to date with your cervical screening
- You may want to research egg freezing
- Consider taking a multivitamin (make sure it contains zinc, selenium, vitamin C and L-carnitine)
- Visit your GP if you’ve had any treatments that could impact your fertility, you can’t maintain an erection or ejaculate during sex
- Check that any medications or supplements you’re taking don’t contain testosterone
- Smoking, vaping or any products with nicotine
- Drinking more than the recommended amount of alcohol (14 units per week)
- Recreational drugs
- Too much stress about optimising your fertility health – the jury is out on whether stress reduces fertility but either way, it’s important to take care of your mental health too
- Tight underwear and trousers
- Sitting with a warm laptop on your lap
- Sitting down for a long time
- Hot showers, hot baths, saunas, jacuzzis, anything hot really
- Lots of cycling (without taking steps to ease the pressure on your perineum)